Registration is open for TWO possibilities for Tai Chi for Healthy Aging!
UMF (Farmington, ME) > Mon and Wed, Jan 4 to Feb 24, 2016 (NO CLASS 1/18 and 2/15), 10:30–11:30a, The Landing. Sign up at front desk, UMF FRC, $75 nonmembers, free members. Class minimum: 5 (already met). Class limit: 15.
I’l B Fit (Rumford, ME) > Tue and Thu, starting Jan 5, 2016, 9–10a. Sign up with Cindy or Ivy, $30 for 6-class block. Class minimum: 5 (not yet met). Class limit: 15.
The class uses a simplified, modified form of tai chi to work with the 60-and-over population on balance. The class may be performed entirely seated.
I attended classes at Brookline Tai Chi to prepare to teach Tai Chi for Healthy Aging. I am currently offering the class on a trial basis at the UMF Health and Fitness Center, Farmington, Maine; and at I’l B Fit, Rumford, Maine. I will post again when the new sessions begin and enrollment opens. I have received good feedback and am excited to continue the course; progress with the students; and work with the ambulatory over-60 target population.
The class, which uses a simplified form of tai chi, a Chinese martial art that uses slow, mindful movements, is open to ambulatory adults, including people in chairs. The class aims to teach participants to view falls and fear of falling as controllable; to set realistic goals for increasing mobility and activity; to foster greater understanding of fall risk factors; and to increase strength and balance through exercise. Since 2010, Brookline Tai Chi has offered the course in collaboration with Dr. Fuzhong Li, Oregon Research Institute, to create an evidence-based fall-prevention protocol.
Here’s a promotional video from 2010 with more information. (Please note that the students are performing relatively advanced moves! But it looks really cool, doesn’t it?)
* Celebrate – Pitbull – pop warmup
* Wine It Up – DJ LBR feat. Nappy Paco – Moombai rock
* Menea La Pera – BiP – merengue (ZIN 51)
* Talk Dirty [Clean] – Jason Derulo feat. 2 Chainz – funk
* Shot – Jaiko El Prototipo – reggaeton
* Baila Mi Son – Ensamble – salsa
* Get Low – Dillon Francis & DJ Snake – rock/pop
* Hey Alicia – Zumba feat. Myrto Meletiou – cumbia (ZIN 54)
* Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars – funk
* Fireball – Pitbull feat. John Ryan – dance (ZIN 55)
* Chacha Swing – Zumba feat. Zona Prieta – swing (ZIN 51)
* All About That Bass – Meghan Trainor – pop
* Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix Radio Edit) – Omi – pop cooldown
By request, here is my 45-minute Zumba playlist! I’m not currently on the schedule for regular Zumba classes, so if you see me, it’s because I’m subbing.
Thursday night Piloxing classes at I’l B Fit in Rumford have been canceled for the summer. However, Zumba Gold on Monday nights is still a GO.
There will be no ZG classes on June 29 or July 13, as I will be out of town then.
On July 12, I will be in Kansas City doing the Piloxing Knockout training. Can’t wait, and I hope to be able to offer the class! Stay tuned for more details. Meanwhile, here’s the Piloxing Knockout 2015 promo reel:
UPDATE 2015-05-21: The class isn’t doing well in its Wednesday time slot, so for June through August, I’ll teach it at 9–9:45a on Friday mornings. Day care is provided at this time.
I’m offering a Metabolic Conditioning class at the UMF FRC in May on Wednesdays at 4:15–5p (class meets May 6, 13, 20, and 27). If it runs well, we’ll keep it on the schedule over the summer!
Here’s its description:
This class uses circuit bursts of strength and cardio intervals to target both of the body’s energy systems, ATP and glycolysis. Combined upper and lower body moves with weights, medicine balls, and weighted body bars will be interspersed with cardio moves like burpees, bear crawls, and side leaps. The class ends with mat and core work. Participants will work at their own level for timed intervals.
* “Shot” – Jaiko El Prototipo – reggaeton
* “Get Low” – Dillon Francis & DJ Snake – dance & DJ
* “MI GEnTE” – Armando & Heidy [MM 42] – Caribbean
* “Contagious” – Zumba Fitness [Aqua 8] – rock/pop
* “La Mujere Quieren Mas” – Oro Solido [Aqua 7] – merengue
* “Swing” – Trace Adkins [MM 44] – country
* “La Bomba” – Zumba Fitness [Aqua 6] – Latin
* “Bang Bang” – Ariana Grande – pop
* “Suda, La Niña Suda” – Javier Voltaje & Vitamina C [Aqua 13] – cumbia
* “Ice Ice Baby (Zumba Remix)” – Vanilla Ice – rap & hip-hop
* “Here to Stay” (feat. Lady Chann) – Zomboy [ZIN 50] – electronic/glitch
* “Shisha” – Exotic Arabian Grooves [Aqua 11] – belly dance
* “Crazy Baby” – Zumba Fitness [Aqua Review] – Latin
* “Shot” – Jaiko El Prototipo – reggaeton
* “All About That Bass” – Meghan Trainor – pop
* “Hola My Friend” – Zumba Fitness [Aqua 7] – Polynesian Rhythm
* “Vivir Mi Vida” – Marc Anthony – salsa
* “Love Them Gyal” – Obie P [Aqua 2014] – cooldown
16 songs, 59 minutes; 45-minute class is drawn from this playlist